As of September 2017, of the 7.5 billion people on the planet, nearly 3.9 billion of them (51.7%) use the Internet. In North America, 88.1 percent of people (or roughly 320 million) use the Internet in some fashion. This presents opportunities for thousands of companies. This also presents opportunities for those looking to take advantage of a huge portion of the global population in one, easy, go.
Here are interesting stats that may impact how you use the Internet for your business, at home and on your mobile devices.
- 73% of cyberattacks are carried out for economic reason
- Cost of cybercrime damages will cost $6 trillion annually by 2021, up from $3 trillion just a year ago
- Cost of ransomware is predicted to exceed $5 billion.
- 4,000 ransomware attacks take place every single day
- Ransomware attacks increased by 36% in 2017 and is not slowing down
- The average amount demanded after a ransomware attack is $1,077, a level of tolerance criminals have found business owners and individuals are “willing to pay” to get their data back (but often don’t)
- Globally, cybercrime is the second most reported crime
- 1 in every 131 emails contain a malware
- 93% of data breaches happen within minutes, and 83% aren’t discovered for weeks
- The largest ever data breach happened in 2013 when 3 billion Yahoo user’s phone numbers, birth dates, and security questions, were hacked
- Weak or stolen passwords is the most common tactic among cybercriminals. 81% of cyber attacks are based on weak or stolen passwords
- Over 40% of cyber crime attacks target small businesses
These figures paint a picture and help explain why business owners are restructuring their budgets to account for the global technology threats to their business and business data.
Would you consider ensuring your business data, client information and your private business planning are kept safe from the growing list of hackers and scam groups? Reach out to ActiveCo to see how we use enhanced layers of protection and a blend of end-user education to de-risk your business.